Summerville, SC asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for South Carolina

Q: My father just had his work comp case closed, but he cannot meet the requirements for his job because of the injury.

What are his options? He has only done receiving and shipping work all his life. He cant lift more than 25lbs with his arm now an that is with pain still.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ilene Stacey King
Ilene Stacey King
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: By closed, do you mean he has settled his claim? Does he have a lawyer? If he has settled his claim, his options may depend on how the claim was settled. Depending on the circumstances, there may not be much else he can do except apply for social security disability. If he has not settled his claim and does not have a lawyer, he should not settle his claim until he speaks with an experienced workers' compensation attorney. He should take advantage of a free consultation to discuss his options. He should reach out as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.