Sandston, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: My husband was charged with a misdemeanor for assault and battery while incarcerated. I need resources or legal advice

He is finishing out his sentence for other non related cases at Henrico New Kent Regional Jail in Barhamsville,VA. He also filed a grievance on a correctional officer who touch him inappropriate on his leg to awaken him. The officer violated protocol to awaken inmates. He is awaiting results on the grievance filed. As his wife, I do not know what criminal justice organization would be able to help navigate his legal issues. He is relying on me to be his voice on the inside as far as getting help on his case. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan J. Jones
Bryan J. Jones
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlottesville, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If he's charged with a crime, a lawyer will be appointed to represent him. If he's just charged with an internal jail offense, he will almost certainly not be able to have an attorney assist with that process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.