Bronx, NY asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Education Law for New York

Q: My school changed a rule where i have to go back to another class that i passed and got the credit

Hi I go to baruch. My school is making me take a class that I passed in fall 2017 again because they have change the rules.

I took precalculus and passed with an D. Then i went on to calculus and failed. Now during mid semester of taking calculus the school was encouraging studens to drop because the math department was looking awful compared to other departments. Then we were told that if failed calculus we need to take precalc again if you have lower than a c- in precalc. That you retake it and have to get a C- or above to take calculus. This is wrong i already took calculus yes i failed. But to go back and take pre calculus again while i already have the credit is ridiculous. I spoke to the dep of math at the school and they've metion that yes i maintain the credit for precalc but i have to go back and take it anyway and get a C- to take calculus. Which i already took. I took calculus once and failed but to go back while i already have the credit makes no sense what can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This is exactly the type of situation where we are often hired on a small initial hourly retainer (atty = $180.00/hr and paralegal = $75.00/hr) of like $320 and we simply solve the issue for you. If it ends up in litigation you can get attorneys fees back, but I bet a few phone calls a letters and you WILL RECEIVE CREDIT FOR THAT CLASS.

The law is clear that among all accredited US colleges and universities as well as high school that "a 1.0/4.0, or a D in letter form, demonstrates "the student has at least a minimal understanding of the subject, and should be awarded credit therefore...FURTHER, if a school refuses to issue credit, especially if tuition

was privately paid, the monies paid in exchange for said credit must be refunded AND/OR the student be allowed to re-take the class tuition free, until he/she does demonstrate a "minimal understanding of the subject" (BC that is really what you are paying for in college...credits...precisely 88 of them to get a BA or BS in 4 years.

Anyway, this is the type of thing we take care of all the time as an "untethered legal service" on a "limited retainer / limited power of attorney ... In fact, I can fix this for you in an hour as long as I have my paralegal work for an hour to help I would just charge you that to cover the limited retainer (ie. fix this issue)... so $180 + $75 = $255 + $22.31 (fees/expenses) = $277.31

So if you want a free consultation visit our website at or text "legal inquiry" to 9149121555. This issue is straightforward though and, with the help of an attorney, me or anyone else versed in the area, can be handled cheaply.

Like I quoted above; I will take care of this for a flat rate of $277.31 (check or charge) or for $255.00 cash on a limited retainer basis. In the unlikely event litigation is necessary legal fees, of course, will be subject to renegotiation but I think I can handle this for you easily and cheaply



2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.