Upper Marlboro, MD asked in Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: So I’m confused on how much time my boyfriend is suppose to be serving.

He pleaded guilty and was originally suppose to serve 15 years but it says all 15 but 4 years suspended and the judge gave him 288 days credited and it says upon release he’ll have a supervised probation for a period of 5 years. Is he serving 4 more years or just 1 ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Eric Todd Kirk

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Based on your fact pattern he's serving 11 years, or 4 years, both with credit for time served. Definitely not one year. Your question is confusing as to what portion of the 15 year sentence is suspended 4 years or 11 years.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.