Lexington, KY asked in Adoption and Immigration Law for Kentucky

Q: Can my husband adopt my daughter if he is not a citizen? He is from mexico and is starting the process for citizenship.

My husband and I were married in March of this year and he is trying to go through the process for citizenship but in the meantime can he still adopt my daughter even if he is not a citizen? He is from mexico and I know it will be hard for him to receive citizenship due to coming to America more then once but he did live in Phoenix arizona for over 15 years and now lives in kentucky with me and my children. Thanks in advance.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: It will vary widely from court to court, but generally speaking, he should be able to adopt her.

Kevin L Dixler agrees with this answer

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL

A: He will need to go through the proper channels, and courts, but a lawful permanent resident can adopt a child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.