Saint Louis, MO asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Missouri

Q: Trying to get divorced, but neither of us has filed taxes for several years. Can we estimate debt on the forms?

We are amicable and want to work together to get this done. We're not sure what we owe in taxes, so we're not sure what to put down for debts on the dissolution of marriage form. Also, will she have any trouble changing her name because of this? We don't have much property (basically we each have a car) to split up. No kids.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: One way to go about this would be to talk to a CPA about filing for the years you missed before you divorce. You may owe or you may be due a refund, but it could be easier to figure out how that should be handled with more information. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.