Charlotte, NC asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for South Carolina

Q: I’m having a baby with another man but plan on marrying my current fiancé of 7 years does that terminate bio dads right

The biological father has been emotionally abusive and unstable on whether he wants to be a part of the child’s life. I have stopped all contact with biological father because of this. I plan on doing an adoption and want to know if he will be able to fight against the adoption if child is born in wedlock of non-biological father.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Marriage to someone other than the putative father does not terminate his parental rights. As for adoption, the putative father's parental rights must be terminated as part of the adoption case. Under South Carolina law, if a parent fails to support or visit a child for a continuous six month period, that can be grounds to terminate that parent's parental rights. However, the failure to visit or support cannot be the result of refusal to accept support or allow visitation on the part of the custodial parent. Of course, the putative father can also execute a relinquishment of his parental rights and consent to adoption in lieu of a contested hearing to prove that he hasn't visited or supported for a continuous six month period.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.