Burnsville, NC asked in Estate Planning for North Carolina

Q: My father died last week and my brother changed the locks and threw me out of the home where I had been living

I had been living there the last 4 years with my dad and taking care of him. What can I do legally in order to have a place to live?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sara W. Harrington
Sara W. Harrington
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Carrboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The answer depends on a lot of factors in order to give you an answer to this question. These questions include:

Did your father own or rent the home?

Was there a mortgage?

Was there a will?

How many other heirs are there to the estate?

I suggest you talk to a local estate administration attorney and bring answers to these questions in order to get a more complete answer to your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.