Winter Haven, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Florida

Q: How do I get a deed and property in my name?

The property was in probate under my grandmother. Somehow my aunt was able to have the property put in her name for taxes, but the only deed on file with the courts are my parents. Now my aunt has died and I’m left with a house I don’t have a deed for. All family say it’s mine, but the property is listed as the estate of (my aunt) so homestead was taken off. How do I get a deed in my name or what steps should I take to proceed with this mess? I can’t do anything as I’m not the legal owner but I pay taxes. House is 100% paid for. No liens on file. Probate for my grandmother is still open. Probate for my aunt said she doesn’t own the home. Any information will help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Isaksen
Jennifer Isaksen
  • Bushnell, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You will need to review the deed and probate documents with an attorney. There are too many variables to be able to advise in a web post.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.