Freehold, NJ asked in Elder Law for New Jersey

Q: My Adult son left my house on a trip. He has been aggressive and abusive, I do not want him to come back into my home.


My son is abusive, aggressive, never helped in chores or made contribution or rent. He graduated college. I am a disabled elderly man, his abusive, bully, he scares me. I do not want him to come back into my home. I asked him for the house key, and he turned it to me.

What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Brown
Adam Brown
  • Hoboken, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: This is a tough position. On the one hand you love your son, and on the other you have to protect yourself.

Your risk of shaming the locks outside of an agreement is that your son has a right to notice.

If, however, your son legitimately scares you, and he is exhibiting aggressive behavior, then you can file a restraining order at court. A restraining order will force him out immediately, at least temporarily.

You should discuss your options in an attorney consultation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.