Boca Raton, FL asked in Civil Litigation and Probate for Florida

Q: What comes first: finding new counsel or Answering the Complaint?

The Judge granted me 30 days to find new counsel after mine withdrew. That would give me until October 4. I also was given an Extension to Answer a Complaint from a previous motion. That will expire on September 17.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Isaksen
Jennifer Isaksen
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Bushnell, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the judge gave you 30 days to find new counsel, likely the order says everything is "stayed" for that period, meaning nothing will happen until the 30 days expires. You will want to review the wording in the order carefully to be sure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.