Wahpeton, ND asked in Child Custody for North Dakota

Q: My 11 yr old daughter has been telling me she doesn’t want to come to my place I have joint physical custody of her

I have been really lenient at making her come over I am at the point right now where I no longer am willing to let her decide when she does n doesn’t want to come over all we have is a verbal agreement on days I have her and her dad has her

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Dunkelgrun
Stefan Dunkelgrun
  • Grand Forks, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: There's the legal answer, and the practical answer.

Assuming her dad is supportive, I strongly recommend talking it through with your daughter and trying to get her to understand and come willingly. Forcing a child to come against her will might be more damaging to your relationship in the long run than giving her a bit more leeway now.

Do you really want the court to get involved?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.