Asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Alabama

Q: What can be done? How old can a child be to request a name change or adoption? Can we terminate rights?

Bio dad hasn't spoken to him in 1 year. Even after going to court in May he has made 0 effort to call,or text our son. Visitation has not been set up as our judge is making us go to a parenting class. We are being sent to a child first class, however we were.never married, but he's on the birth certificate. Our son is now 10 and doesn't want anything to do with his dad. Even before this court his dad didn't pay his child support, wouldn't take care of him when he was with him, he's leave him with family on weekends our son was with him. He has recently divorceded his 3rd wife and is planning on marrying another girl who is now pregnant as well. This makes baby 4 for him, but he is over 6k in arrears for the first child alone.Can we terminate rights??

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: If he has not supported the child with money, contact or anything else for a period of 6 months or more you can attempt to terminate his rights on the ground of abandonment. The fact that you were not married, etc, is not relevant. If he has abandoned the child you can attempt to terminate his rights. You should get an attorney to help you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.