Mesa, AZ asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Arizona

Q: Can I send character letters directly to the judge instead of through the court appointed lawyer?

Lawyer has been completely unreliable.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Josephine Pesaresi Hallam
Josephine Pesaresi Hallam
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: First, I am sorry your attorney has not given you confidence. It is hard enough to face criminal charges, but not having an attorney who you feel is in your corner is unbearable.

Second, you should always give anything you need the Court to see to your attorney first. It is not advisable to submit anything directly to the Judge without your attorney reviewing it first.

It is important that your attorney see it to be sure all the contents are acceptable and also so your attorney can use the letter contents in their own sentencing memorandum and materials.

So, my advice, it send the letters through your attorney, and ask for confirmation when they have been submitted to ease your mind.

Best of luck. I hope that helps. Josephine Hallam

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.