Catonsville, MD asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland

Q: I’m a minor from MD I had weed over 10g I think, I got juvenile misdemeanor citation, if it’s over 10G I will be charge

Will I need a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Check to see whether the citation says if it's "civil" or not. If civil, it will be under 10 grams. If not, then you will receive notification from the Dept. of Juvenile Services to appear for an intake meeting with your parents, and at that time you would likely be offered the option of completing a program in exchange for the matter being closed informally. You may even receive such an offer in the mail without having to go to an intake meeting, so long as you sign up before a certain date. Civil citations and juvenile offenses will not appear on your public record or on criminal background reports.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.