Stockton, CA asked in Insurance Bad Faith for California

Q: Can I request an insurance pay-out after a car accident if I've already received some money from the person who caused

the accident?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Timur Akpinar

  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I do not practice in California, but your question remains open for four weeks. The underlying principle of insurance, in general, is to reimburse people for losses they sustain. Depending on the nature of the case and payment, carriers can offset their payment to reflect funds already received. This is a general premise; it would be best to consult with a California attorney to be certain of your rights and obligations.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.