Cambridge, MA asked in Traffic Tickets for Massachusetts

Q: Hello i was at the court today to fight a apeeding ticket in Massachusetts

Hello i was at the court today to fight my speeding ticket and the magistrate found me not guilty of the passing violation but for the other section "speeding rate of speed exceeding posted limit c90 17" he reduced the price from $335 to just $100. so the ticket was for $440 but ut came down to $100 overall. Does this mean i will still get points on my license

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It is possible you may still be assessed SDIP points, but certainly not as many. Whether you receive any points depends on your prior driving record. No surcharge points are assigned to the first minor, non-criminal traffic law violation in the operator's policy experience period usually. A 90 sec 17 offense is considered a minor offense for SDIP purposess, and results in 2 points. The fine does not impact this at all. See page 19 here:

If you have no other offenses it will not result in a surcharge or license loss but can impact your premium costs on renewal. Usually your insurance company can tell you more specifically or you can try Customer Service Representative at the Merit Rating Board any weekday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (857) 368-8100. For more detailed information on the Merit rating system review this web site also Good luck- hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.