Detroit, MI asked in Consumer Law for Michigan

Q: What are my options? I am on SSD. A judgement of 140,800.00 has been entered against me. My daughter was driving car

No insurance she suited state farm and they suited me. I was going thru a personal crisis Disassociate disorder. I was not capable of responsibility

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If the judgment is recent, you might still have time to file an appeal. It's hard to say whether your personal crisis/dissaociative disorder would give you a defense. I'm assuming the car was yours.

In Michigan you can file an appeal by right for 21 days following the judgment. You should speak to an attorney asap to see if you have grounds and time to appeal.

If more than 21 days have passed, then the judgment stands. Since you are on SSD, you might not be very collectible to a creditor - who knows if they will try to collect from you or not. But the judgment will still be hanging out there against you, and could be used to garnish your state income tax refund, or to seize property, or to put a lien on real estate you own. You may wish to speak to a bankruptcy attorney about filing a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy in order to get a discharge from the judgment.

As always, you get what you pay for. Be sure to talk to an attorney about your specific situation before choosing to rely on information you get from internet discussion boards, such as this one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.