Saint Marys, OH asked in Bankruptcy for Ohio

Q: Can I file bankruptcy alone?

I left in May 2008. Filed for divorce in May 2011. Finalized Oct. 2011. He racked up a 10k hosp bill in June 2011. They are now sending me letters and calling. Also we were sued in 2010 for another of his hosp bills and he has never made his payments. I paid 25 mthly for about 6 years. We owe more than beginning balance. Can I file bankruptcy alone for these? To get them to quit coming after me? Also can I add my current hospital bills from recent surgery to it that Ive been paying on ? This is in Ohio. I remarried in 2013.

Edit: We were not legally separated but lived in different residences. Our final papers state all debt after May 2008 belongs to whoever made the debt.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Stuart Nachbar

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Livingston, NJ

A: If you are officially divorced, yes you can. Remember to include any and all bills in your name

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Joseph Michael Romano Esq

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I'd have to take a look at what your Separation Agreement says, but there would be no impediment to discharging all of this debt as to the original creditors. The Separation Agreement could cause issues if there was an assumption of debt provision.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.