Roseville, MI asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: I was in a car accident. The ticket states that I left the scene. I gave all my information to the other party.

My vehicle was unsafe to drive but, I was able to move it off the road. I called for a ride and when they showed up I left. The other party stated that they were okay and we were there for an hour already. Court date is coming in the mail. Should I hire an attorney. This is the first accident I've been in and I have a great driving record.

1 Lawyer Answer
Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Dearborn Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Leaving the scene of an accident is a 6 point violation, which is as big as they get. It is also a criminal offense that could conceivably put you in jail for three months, although that is not likely. My point is, it's a serious charge, and you should get an attorney who regularly practices traffic law to assist you, and do so as soon as possible. An attorney can present your situation in the most favorable light. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.