Denver, CO asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Construction Law and Environmental for Colorado

Q: Our home was to have an asbestos abatement performed; and what we were assuming was a person whose company was certified

This company proceeded to do work on the house (by his subcontractor who was "certified"; but not a state certified company), parts deemed affected were pulled; but was not disposed of properly, and now the state has become involved, with a Stop Work order posted to property. Now this contractor is coming after his money, also says we are in a contract that is binding, and that he is to complete the work on the contract. I was told by the state that certified asbestos abatement contracted companies are the only ones to do the work, as this guy not only created a hazard spill in the home and also outside the home exposing the community, but did it without a state issued permit. I just want to find out if this would be grounds to break said contract, as now I am needing to pay money out for another testing and abatement process. The state of Colorado CDPHE gentleman says we may have just cause to take this to court. Any feedback would be helpful

1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You may have a legitimate Breach of Contract claim against your contractor and you have a damages claim against him. You should contact an attorney to schedule a consultation so that the facts can be closely reviewed and you can get a clear picture of your rights, options, and possible results.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.