Alexandria, VA asked in Consumer Law for Virginia

Q: What type of claim should I file against a repo company that damaged my car during tow and transport? Warrant in debt?

I'm asking about 15,000 for damage and inability to safely drive car for over a month.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Braddock Jackson
Jay Braddock Jackson
  • Fredericksburg, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Your collision or comprehensive coverage is the best way to go. you will need to pay the deductible initially, but when your insurance company files a claim against the tow company or their insurer, they will include your deductible in their efforts and when they are paid, they will return your deductible to you. You may be able to make a claim for the loss of use of the car, but you will generally need to show some sort of bill or receipt for what you paid for your replacement (Like a rental car invoice, etc). If you did not pay for a replacement you may not be able to make that claim. Additionally, you are going to need to prove the damage to the car by way of an estimate and/or repair bill. It will be very difficult for you to make a claim for anything at all in this circumstance without a bill/receipt/estimate for that item. General damages, such as "pain and suffering" or inconvenience, or however you like to term it, are generally not elements of property only claims. You will probably be very successful with the payment of the actual damages to your car, but other elements, probably not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.