Cuyahoga Falls, OH asked in Libel & Slander for Ohio

Q: A family member said I stole from him. I didn't do this. Do I have enough to file slander charges against him?

My nephew told his parents that I stole the title to his car & cashed a work check of his. My brother & his wife believed him. I did take everything out of my nephew's glove compartment. My nephew saw me do this & told me I could have it because he didn't care. My son is a witness for my nephew saying I cashed a work check of his. My son said the lie about that is my nephew said his boss went on vacation & gave them their checks early. My son asked my nephew to get a copy of the check I forged. My nephew said he would get it but never did. I'm assuming my nephew told his parents the check was in his glove compartment. I went through all the papers I got from the glove compartment. I found that my nephew got a Title Loan with a Title Loan Co. & gave the title to his car to them to get the loan. I gave all the papers I got from my nephew's glove compartment back to him. My nephew saying this makes me look like a thief & a forger. I have suffered a lot. Can I file slander charges?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: That would be a civil claim, not criminal. So you can't file charges. But you can file a lawsuit. Use the Find a Lawyer tab and consult a local attorney who handles litigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.