Claremont, NH asked in Internet Law for New Hampshire

Q: I am being slandered on line on a daily basis for over two years. Do I need a lawyer or can I go to the police?

For well over two years, on a daily basis, personal details of my life from 20 years ago have been posted on line and through e-mails by an in-law. I have been harmed at work, in my community, and with family and friends. This in-law is also slandering my mother, a cancer survivor who I am caring for and who is unable to fight this herself. I have lost job opportunities and have a continual battle with depression because of the ongoing slander and defamation. I do not know where to turn to get legal help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I do not practice in New Hampshire, but your question has not been picked up in four weeks. I can’t speak for New Hampshire, but slander-libel is generally a civil matter throughout the United States. It is considered an intentional tort. Slander is generally verbal while libel is in writing. A consultation with an attorney could enable you to determine whether you have a viable case that would be cost-effective to pursue. Because intentional torts can have short statutes of limitations, you could in the very least learn the deadlines within which you would have to take action.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.