Iron Mountain, MI asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Michigan

Q: Can I sue (small claims court) a corporation doing business in Michigan at my local district/circuit courthouse?

I have been unable to locate the statutes governing jurisdiction of where I can file the aforementioned lawsuit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Here is the venue statute for Michigan.

It says you can sue the corporation in any county where it has a place of business, does business, or has its registered office. If none of these exists for the corporation, then you would be allowed to file in your local court for your home county. But you have to look for a county where the corporation has a place of business, registered office, or does business first.

As always, you get what you pay for. Be sure to talk to a qualified attorney about your specific situation, before choosing to rely on any information you get from internet discussion boards such as this one.

Adam Alexander agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.