Leeds, AL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Alabama

Q: If I am 16 years old in Alabama and my parents have joint custody, can I move in with my mother?

My father treats me unfairly and I do not feel welcome in his home. If I don’t want to go back to his house am I required to?

2 Lawyer Answers

Kristine Jones

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: It is difficult to know without looking at your parents divorce/custody papers. It may be they have joint legal custody, but your father has primary, physical custody. This is up to your mother to contact an attorney and sort out the details. She could file a petition to modify and ask the court to give her primary physical custody. Best of luck!

Mr. James Parrish Coleman

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: You are court ordered to be there. You don't get to decide where you want to go. If time between you and your parent is ordered, the other parent must present you for that time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.