Hampton, VA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Virginia

Q: Do I need a lawyer that specializes in commuted sentences

A friend of mine has been incarcerated since the age of 17 for robbing the pizza man for 50 dollars at gun point he did not touch the man but a gun was involved. He was not the individual holding the gun but the one holding the gun testified against him for a reduced sentence (4yrs). The other man there testified against him also (1yr). My friend went to trial He received 20 years due to come home 2028. The time is because he went to trial, I know. He sent in for a commuted sentence two years ago, one of the jurors even wrote on his behalf. The governors office said not at this time please try back in a couple of years. So now what is my next step? I've had lawyers say they can help. My question is do I need a lawyer that specializes in this type of field? Thank you in advance for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It sounds as if you have answered your own question. To proceed further either your friend, or an attorney who specializes in that field, will need to figure out some way to advance the case or serve out the sentence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.