Charlotte, NC asked in Bankruptcy and Employment Law for North Carolina

Q: My new employer filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy during the time of me excepting the job and my start date.

When I interviewed for this job over three months I was extremely adamant that one of the most important thing for me was trans parent see because I have just gone through one hell of or to your run in terms of personal issues and losing work to no fault of my own. I interviewed three times and nothing was ever said and then my first date of employment I found out that after I excepted the position and had done my research of the company I found out they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy due to a civil lawsuit that the owner was hit with. My position has all but deteriorated dishes off business and it is a matter of time until I lose my job. Do I have any sort of leverage on severance or some sort of compensation package or would it be wise for me to request being a part of the settlement? Because my start date with after they filed I am not qualified as a potential creditor so to speak. Should I request to be added as one. It’s important note that the company does have a lot of cash.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: If the company had a lot of cash. they wouldn’t be in reorganization bankruptcy. Consult an experienced bankruptcy attorney who may be able to fashion you into a creditor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.