Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I was under the impression that there was a statue that says an older conviction over 3 years cannot be brought up in a

Case I have been charged in the past for possession and or paraphernalia it was over 10 years ago can they bring that up in court if I should ever have to go again

1 Lawyer Answer
Wais Azami
Wais Azami
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Garden Grove, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Some crimes never get erased. Other which do get erased my still affect employment or immigration. In your particular situation, if it was a misdemeanor and you won't testify as a defendant in your future potential case, it may be hard for it to be brought up. The answer really is "depends."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.