Athens, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Probate for Georgia

Q: How long does the PR of an estate in Georgia have to remove personal affects of a deceased renter from home?

PR of estate has been recognized by probate court as of this month. Landlord of renter (the deceased) has sent letter of notice to quit lease to PR stipulating property must be entirely clean. Renter was on a floating month by month lease in an old home and acquired decades of stuff. PR lives out of state and is poor. A lawyer has been retained but is super busy and not forthcoming with info. Can the landlord evict so quickly AND demand clean home? Will PR be liable for failure to thoroughly clean property? It’s a very old house that landlord minimally kept up. I was his best friend and I’m trying to help his cousins, the only surviving relatives he had.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sharpsburg, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The landlord can demand whatever he wants. If he wants an eviction he will have to convince a judge what he is doing is right.

The deceased has a month to month lease. In GA the LL needs to give 60 days notice to term so long as the lease is being fulfilled (you must pay rent). He also must follow the eviction process after this.

1. demand the property

2. File an eviction

3. If You answer.

4. hearing is set.

5. If you lose at the hearing

6. One week til writ of possession issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.