Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: My special needs sonis being singled out, punished, threatened, and bullied athis school no one will help can u help?

my son is diagnosed and receives ssi from the government for his condition. They havet him in a school with other children who have been kicked out of regular school for fighting and other things. My son has an iep and they put in a secial needs kid with bullies and when he stands up for himself he gets into trouble They have arrested him for harassment and disorderly conduct, the principle ( Dr. Johnson) told me to spank him when he is bad, I did this and they called child protective services on me but not before the resource officer threatening my son with criminal charges if he didn't tell them what they wanted to hear. Is this not entrapment and misuse of power against a medially mental disabled child?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: I am sad to read about this matter.

I am struck that you would follows anyone's recommendation to physically punish your special needs child. Have you ever attended your child's IEP review?

Have you ever sought out the independent ombudsmen who assist in these situations?

Have you accepted responsibility for that incorrect physical punishment?

You stated they threatened him with criminal charges. Is this what you learned from your child who in one breath you claim has issues communicating and in the next breath you state he is totally believable.

Yes, I am direct. There are many things you can do other than blaming others and pointing your finger.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.