Washington, DC asked in Divorce for District of Columbia

Q: Once a divorce is filed and settled are they public record for people to search and see in Maryland Case Search?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: Yes. They can review the docket online, and they can go the the courthouse to look at the court file, review whatever has been filed, and make copies. If you signed and filed a separation and property settlement agreement as part of the divorce, you should ask your lawyer to have that document removed from the public file and sealed. Those agreements often contain highly sensitive financial and personal data that courts will place out of the public eye. The rest of the case file is public record, and the laws are very clear that such records must remain public. It supports the public interest in open and transparent justice and prevents the potential for abuse in the justice system. Exceptions can be made for specific documents based upon good cause to protect personal information, especially information on minor children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.