Albuquerque, NM asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: If I am a renter in Puerto Rico and my landlord doesn’t help fix things in apartment how can I leave the contract?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Good afternoon and thank you for using JUSTIA. The landlord is required by law to repair certain fixtures of said property. You can either use the rental payment to do the repairs or you can notify the landlord that you intend to move at the end of the next month if said needed repairs are not assumed by the landlord within a reasonable time period and as such this months rent shall be held and not paid as a garantee of repairs to be done and/or the down payment given at the start of the rental agreement. The notification to the landlord should be sent by certified mail. If you need further information or assistance with this or any other legal matter please feel free to contact me.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.