Milton, MA asked in Constitutional Law and Real Estate Law for Massachusetts

Q: My husbnd died , he has his friends name on the house that we bought for more ten years ago.How do I take friends nameof

please tell me how to put my son on the house and take the friend off the mortgage.


1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Alan Waksman
Zachary Alan Waksman
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It depends on how your husband's friend's name is "on the house". I am assuming that there is both a deed and a mortgage on the house. There is no "one size fits all" for documents related to ownership and loans related to real property such as a house. Deeds and mortgages have different procedures for changing the identities of the responsible parties.

An attorney will be able to help you accomplish your goals.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.