Grand Rapids, MI asked in Car Accidents and Collections for Michigan

Q: How do I respond to Subrogation letter regarding auto/tractor accident in no-fault state?

My dad was on his tractor and pulled out into the street at the same time that our neighbor came down the road in his truck. The neighbor moved to avoid the tractor and side swiped my parent's mailbox. Crash report states no damage. My parents paid the neighbors $500 deductible. Now a year later my parents received a letter from "Casualty Recovery Solutions" requesting payment of $4870.73 for being personally liable, as well as an attached estimate for the costs to fix the truck. This happened in Michigan, a no fault state. Both were insured. Furthermore, the company stated that they were unable to provide proof that anything was actually paid out and when I looked up the neighbors truck on edmunds, it's valued at $981 for trade in and $1,973 for private party sale, much less than the provided estimate. What is the best way to proceed? Would they even be liable? Thank you!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You should find a local attorney specializing in no-fault insurance claims and speak to them.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: First, they have to show what if anything was paid. You want to get several estimates but for a start a) if it was knocked over the mailbox that shouldn't be that heavy a cost.

However, you have insurance for that. Talk to your company. If you don't want to talk to the company, the problem you have is having paid the deductible you should have gotten a release. Not sure what you mean about being "personally liable" but assuming they pay something they want a full release. May be time to at least get your agent involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.