Candler, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: Shd an existing childsupport order in TX be transferred to NC? What happens if the NCP doesn't travel to NC for court?

My child, myself and the father we're all in Dallas, TX when the order was established in court in 2009. My child and I moved to NC 2yrs ago but I didn't see the need to transfer the case to NC because no modifications we're needed at the time, so it is still in TX. Since the order was established nearly 10yrs ago the cost of living has increased & as my child has gotten older her needs have changed and become more expensive. When a modification is requested in TX the Attorney General (AG) will conduct a negotiation between the parents before attempting to take it to court. If an agreement cannot be made the case will go to court. During our negotiation the AG determined (based on his current wages) that childsupport should be doubled and the father disagreed. So now we have to go to court but I'm not sure if I should leave the case in TX or have it transferred to NC and what happens if he doesn't fly to NC for a hearing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Amanda Bowden Houser

  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Why would you want him to go to the hearing? If he doesn't show - you win. However, you likely need to consult with attorneys in both states. There will likely be pros and cons that need to be weighed regarding the decision to proceed in TX or NC.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.