Elgin, IL asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Illinois

Q: What type of evidence should I try to preserve after a multi-car accident that caused me injuries?

2 Lawyer Answers

Steve McCann

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you were involved in a multi-car accident and sustained injuries, you should first and foremost obtain all medical treatment necessary. Next, you should hire a personal injury attorney. Do not make any statements until you are represented by an attorney.

Many of us offer free consultations, and will represent you on a contingent basis if your bodily injury claims have merit, so it will not cost you anything to obtain the representation and guidance of an experienced professional to ensure you maximize your recovery. In the meantime, make sure you have pictures, a crash report, and all medical records and bills organized so you can move forward as efficiently as possible.

Drew Ball agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It would be advisable to preserve all the evidence you can. Some of your evidence will be indelible, in terms of things like police reports, but some will be fleeting, such as the opportunity to capture photos of initial injuries or vehicle damage before collision shop repair (or before a commercial salvor removes a vehicle, if declared a total loss). Those transient ones can be especially important because there is only one initial opportunity to photograph them.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.