Saint Thomas, PA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania

Q: My ex is trying to file false allegations against me about using his debit card. Can the cops arrest me for it?

My ex is trying to accuse me of using his debit card for purchases he has made. He left his wallet at home for almost a week while he was away and now hes saying that i made purchases in his absence. What can i do to prove my innocence?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Well, theoretically, you don't have to prove your innocence at all: the cops/courts have to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The problem here is that it *is* very difficult to prove a negative. How to prove you *didn't* do something? If you get a call from the cops, you can certainly deny any involvement or unauthorized purchases -- or you can refuse to speak to them at all since you don't have to.

Presumably, one way to prove that someone *did* make an unauthorized purchase is to watch the store surveillance video from the date/time of the purchase -- and cops can get these videos during their investigation. Let them. Then they'll find out who really did make those purchases, and you'll be exonerated.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.