Spring, TX asked in Child Support and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: My sons father is not following our custody agreement and not paying Child Support, what are my next steps?

I have in place a custody agreement with my sons father we made a few years ago. At the time I was living in Mecklenburg county Charlotte NC now I am living in Gaston County Gastonia NC. Will I need to continue in Mecklenburg county? He has not been following the agreement and has not paid full child support in close to 2 years. What are my next steps for receiving full child support? I have medical bills from my son over a year ago that he has still not helped pay half of and are now on my credit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Amanda Bowden Houser

  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your first step is to determine if he has the ability to pay and is simply not paying or if he legitimately can not pay. If he legitimately can not pay, you would be wasting your time and effort. if he has the ability to pay but simply doesn't or won't reduce the cost of his current lifestyle to pay, the easiest thing is to sic child support enforcement on him. They are slow but low cost or free. You could hire a private attorney for the child support aspect which might be quicker but would definitely cost more. As to enforcing other parts of the agreement, how you do that depends on whether this is just an agreement or if it was something that was incorporated into a divorce judgement or otherwise made a court order. If is just an agreement - enforcing that will be slow and expensive. If your agreement has been transformed into a court order, you can pop him with a motion to show cause fairly quickly and likely at a lower cost - all with the possibility of getting attorney fees awarded to you if the agreement was properly drafted. Best of luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.