Fredericksburg, VA asked in Car Accidents for Virginia

Q: I had a traffic accident. I wasn't injured but the at-fault driver is avoiding his insurance companies calls.

My vehicle was probably totaled.

It's a 2001 with between $4000-5000 in damage including a bent frame. While I was only bruised I have been forced to rent a vehicle on my credit card. I can't move forward until I know whether they will total the vehicle. His insurance company will not return my calls and when they do (once), the adjuster lies to me. The police report shows him to be at fault.

My insurance company has now taken over the claim until the other company can get their act together.

My question is: Can I still sue the at fault driver for the delays and the cost of a new vehicle?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Braddock Jackson
Jay Braddock Jackson
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Fredericksburg, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Virginia does not recognize a cause of action for delays without anything more. Particularly if you are proceeding with the repair. You have a cause of action for your payments for the rental car, but you do not have a cause of action to put yourself in a better position than before the accident by replacing an older car with a new one. Additionally, once your insurance company pays for your vehicle, your right to any collection at all for vehicle damage is transferred to the insurance company (a process called subrogation). You can have your own insurance company include all of your out-of-pocket expenses in their efforts to collect from the other insurance company. Essentially, you may not sue in order to put yourself in a better position than before the accident, but you may sue to restore yourself to the that same position.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.