Poplar Grove, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: Info on how to go and get my belongings and agreed items out of the house?

We have agreed on a list of things but she refuses me to go in the house to get them. She wants me to hire a moving company and they go and get the items. What are the options or legal way I would have to get my things?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It is not unusual for the spouse remaining in the home to resist the other spouse's reentry. She is likely concerned about a display of bitterness, a perceived invasion of privacy, or that you might remove more than your designated items. On the other hand, requiring professional movers is a bit overboard. You might suggest to her that she have family members or neighbors present to witness your item removal. Otherwise, have a judge specify the method of your removal process.

James G. Ahlberg agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.