Mount Sterling, KY asked in Intellectual Property and Juvenile Law for Kentucky

Q: My mom kicked me out so I am a 17-year-old living with my friend and she keep saying she’s gonna send me to juvie.

I have told the police she abuses me. I was told that “I am a teenager and it’s normal”. She told me to leave, so I did. She has my phone, but I have my car. The thing is, the car is in her name but I pay for it. However, the police here with similar situations say if you let someone here drive a car regularly they are entitled to permissions. I’m not sure if that’s because Montgomery county police are lazy or what, but I need help figuring out if the car thing is an issue and if a 17 year old can legally leave. Let’s not forget I’m top of my class, 4.0 gpa, athletic, has a job. I don’t know if that helps any

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You are under her rules and care unless or until you turn 18 or are emancipate, whichever occurs first. The car belongs to her legally although you may have some equitable claim to it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.