Pryor, OK asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Tax Law for Oklahoma

Q: My wife has a tax question. Per her divorce decree her and her ex are supposed to alternate years claiming their son.

There was a order of protection and my wife and her ex could not contact one another. The decree was final in 2017 and he was claimed by his dad in 2016 for 2015 when they were apart. My wife not her ex claimed their son in 2017 for 2016. Who is can claim their son for 2017?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Reece B. Morrel Jr
Reece B. Morrel Jr
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I have worked on several of these cases in the past. Usually, the Judges do a fairly good job of making their instructions clear. If not, the Judge gets to see the case again. Not something they are anxious to do.

If it is not clear, I would have your wife's lawyer contact the ex-husband's lawyer to 1.) clarify or 2.) agree to a schedule. If the ex-husband fails to cooperate and insists on claiming the son every year, then it may be worthwhile to have a conversation with your wife's lawyer about filing a motion for contempt of court.

I am not trying to be vague, but cautious. If you get too many quarterbacks or lawyers calling the plays in a situation, it can cause a lot of problems.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.