Chico, CA asked in Adoption and Wrongful Death for California

Q: Can be listed as a statutory heir to someone if his parental rights were taken away and I have been legally adopted?

This was a wrongful death suit for my biological father that was filed in Arkansas, I live in California. His name is not even on my birth certificate. I do not want anything from him but the lawyer from Arkansas wants me to sign paperwork stating I do not want any of the money. I think this is wrong since he is not my dad anymore according to the courts.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You would have to consult with an Arkansas attorney about that. However, even if you could be included, the value of your case would be tremendously adversely affected by the lack of relationship between your father and you, at least that is how it would work out in CA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.