Worcester, MA asked in Civil Litigation for Massachusetts

Q: Does every pleading need to be served in a case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Alan Waksman
Zachary Alan Waksman
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: I am not sure what you mean.

If you are referring to Rule 7(a) of the Mass. Rules of Civil Procedure, it does not literally mean that each kind of pleading must be filed. Most civil actions will, at minimum, have a complaint and an answer to said complaint. Many defendants will file a counterclaim against the plaintiff, who must file an answer to the counterclaim; the counterclaim is not a mandatory filing. These pleadings are by far the most common.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.