Dallas, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: I am 17 and want to move out of my mom's house to move in with my brother who's 23. Can I do it legally without consent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ruby K Bolton
Ruby K Bolton
  • The Woodlands, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: At age 17, you are still a minor and 63.009(g) of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure authorizes police to take possession of you and return you to your parents if you move out without their consent. Your brother should also be concerned about being criminally charged with harboring a runaway. In my experience, the behavior of both the police and the district attorney's office when called in these types of cases is unpredictable. Your parents should not assume that you will actually be delivered to them, you should not assume that you won't be, and your brother should not assume that he will not be prosecuted. If you are in danger, contact CPS. If you are not, I recommend staying at home until that 18th birthday.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.