Vincentown, NJ asked in Consumer Law for New Jersey

Q: I purchased a car a week ago and just found out from my insurance company it is a Salvage Title vehicle.

When I was at the dealership the salesman said he was working on getting the CarFax. Said he had it, but they gave him the wrong one and they were working on it. I also asked the financial person doing the paperwork and he said they were working on it. I never received one.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to retain a civil litigation attorney and file suit under the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, N.J.S.A. 56:8-2, consumer fraud is defined broadly as “any unconscionable commercial practice, deception, fraud, false pretense, false promise or misrepresentation . . . ” in connection with the sale of goods, services or real estate. Prohibited conduct can take a variety of forms, including knowing omissions, affirmative misrepresentations, and certain statutory violations. Successful CFA plaintiffs are entitled to treble damages and payment of their attorney’s fees. New Jersey enacted the CFA “to protect the consumer against imposition and loss as a result of fraud and fraudulent practices by persons engaged in the sale of goods and services. However, the CFA defines a “person” as including “any natural person or his legal representative, partnership, corporation, company, trust, business entity or association. Thus, New Jersey courts have held that under this broad definition of “person” a corporation may maintain an action for a violation of the CFA. This has led courts outside of New Jersey to declare that New Jersey’s CFA is designed to protect “commercial entities as well as traditional consumers from fraudulent or deceptive practices.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.