Arlington, VA asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia

Q: A city bus driver hit the side of my vehicle. I wasn't there when it happened (my car was parked while I was shopping)

but one of the bus riders got off and left me a note, detailing what happened and also provided the number on the side of the bus. Is that enough evidence to sue the city for damages?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Braddock Jackson
Jay Braddock Jackson
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Fredericksburg, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It’s certainly enough to start. You may wish to start

With the transit authority first however since it would be much cheaper if they agree to pay the damages. Additionally, if you see not in the car and we’re not injured, your recovery will be limited to the damage to the vehicle so most attorneys will not take the case. That means you would either have to handle the trial yourself or pay the attorney by the hour, which can be costly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.