Naperville, IL asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Illinois

Q: If I develop depression as a result of being bed-ridden after two surgeries from a car accident, is that something I can

sue for as emotional distress?

3 Lawyer Answers

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: When was your car accident and did you employ an attorney? Who was negligent in the accident? With those answers you can be provided better response. Thanks and sorry for the pain that you have to endure.

Steve McCann

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes, you can certainly sue for damages based on depression so long as your attorney can prove it is proximately caused by the accident in question. Therefore, I recommend seeking treatment related to the depression if you have not done so already.

After seeking treatment, I recommend you organize everything in your possession related to this matter, including all medical records and bills, and consult with an attorney individually. Many of us offer free consultations, and will represent you on a contingent basis if your case has merits, so it will not cost you anything out of pocket to obtain the representation and guidance of an experienced professional who will assist in maximizing your recovery.

Timur Akpinar

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Present your treatment records to your attorney. In general, things like the surgeries can carry greater weight in an overall assessment of the damages in a case.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.