Little Falls, MN asked in Criminal Law and Public Benefits for Minnesota

Q: I'm going to be charged with felony wrongfully abstaining public assistance due to not reporting earned income /55000

Will I have jail time no previous thefts I am employed and own a house for 16 years need legal advice

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Executed jail time is unlikely for a first-time offender convicted of a low-dollar value theft crime. If it did happen, it would likely be short time. It can help in these cases to pay the money back, though it's best to do that through your attorney. Avoid making any statements or consenting to any search prior to consulting a criminal defense lawyer first. If you think you might qualify, apply for the public defender.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.